If there’s one thing you can be certain of in 2012, it’s change.
Issues like the fragile economy, looming elections and changing employment legislation make it more difficult than ever to predict what will happen in the next year – let alone the next month. Constant changes in your workload and available labor only compound your challenges. As such, a staffing approach that worked for you in the past may not prove as effective this year.
This doesn’t mean you’re out of luck; it just means that you may need to re-examine your staffing strategy. So start 2012 off right. Consider these staffing best practices which have proven effective for corporate human resources executives across the country, courtesy of workforce.com:
- Make sure the staffing partner has an adequate balance sheet. Given the relatively low barriers to entry, it is too common to see staffing companies struggle financially.
- Be sure the staffing partner has sufficient size and financial resources to manage the contract. Sourcing 100 or more contract workers on an ongoing basis requires a very different type of staffing organization than providing two or three temps at a time.
- Visit the local office of the staffing company as part of the due-diligence process, especially for large projects, to make sure the operation meets expectations.
- Give your staffing partner feedback on all candidates that you review to help refine the recruiting strategy, and make it easier to find the best candidates.
- Be open-minded about “teachable” candidates, especially for hard-to-fill skill sets. Candidates who are a strong cultural fit and possess transferable skills are likely to succeed and thrive with some training and support.
- Provide enough training, rewards and feedback to keep temps engaged and motivated. One employer notes that small rewards—a free lunch for good performance, for example—go a long way toward winning the loyalty of temps.
- Beware of unfair negative stereotypes about the quality of temp workers. Temps can be—and often are—as qualified as full-time employees, and their skills can be equally useful.
Priority Personnel – Your Best Staffing Strategy for 2012
Priority Personnel is an award winning staffing firm that has been serving the central Texas area since it was founded in 1993 in San Marcos, Texas. Over the years, we’ve grown to become a recognized leader in the development, implementation and support of personnel services in Central Texas. Rest assured, we are a stable, successful partner you can trust with your all your workforce management needs – no matter how large or small.
Call us to schedule a 2012 workforce consultation. Together, we can identify your upcoming needs and develop a proactive, cost-effective staffing strategy that will deliver real bottom-line results.