A well-designed wellness program can be just what the doctor ordered.Â Implemented properly, a wellness program can:
- increase productivity
- control preventable healthcare costs
- boost morale
- reduce employee stress, ER visits and absenteeism
If you’re looking to institute a wellness program for your company, or wantÂ to make your existing wellness program more comprehensive and effective, consider these pointsÂ before getting started:
- What are you trying to achieve?Â Determine your reason(s) for introducing the wellness initiative before deciding what types of programs to offer.
- Whom are you targeting?Â Make sure the programs you offer appeal to all age groups and fitness levels.
- What’s your budget?Â According to the Wellness Councils of America, wellness programs can cost anywhere from $10 to $125 per employee, depending upon how they are structured.
- How will you encourage participation?Â Consider:Â lower premiums or co-pays; cash contributions to health savings and reimbursement accounts; or even a point system where employees can redeem “participation points” for merchandise or money.Â Whichever option you choose, keep the incentives positive and never force employees to participate.
- How will you gauge success?Â To determine how your program is doing, you should design and conduct a longitudinal study for tracking metrics such as:Â productivity, absenteeism, workers’ compensation claims, ER visits, hospital admissions and health insurance claims.
- What does your attorney suggest?Â Ask your attorney about compliance with HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) and ADA (the Americans with Disabilities Act).
- How will you publicize the program?Â Consider both internal communications to explain programs, benefits and incentives, as well as external PR opportunities to enhance your position in the community and attract potential employees.
What do wellness programs andÂ staffing servicesÂ have in common?
They both provide great ways to manage benefits expenses, improve employee productivity and morale, and gain a competitive recruiting edge.Â Contact Priority PersonnelÂ today to find out more.